Data modelers are responsible for building an organizational structure for a company’s data. You will design computer databases that translate complex data into usable systems and will work with data architects to create data models that meet organizational needs. What does a data modeler do?
What is data modeling?
Data modeling is the formalization and documentation of processes and events that take place in the Creation of a data model.
Role overview – data modeler
The tools and techniques of data modeling are used to capture complex system designs and translate them into clear representations of data flows and processes, creating a template for new developments or redesigns.
Data models guarantee consistency in naming conventions, standard values and security while at the same time ensuring data quality. They emphasize what data is needed and how it should be organized.
Tasks of a data modeler
A data modeler is primarily responsible for identifying a company’s needs and Create data models to meet these needs. Using their understanding of data flows, Propose innovative data solutions that can help improve business operations.
They also maintain the data models they have created, define data modeling and design standards and evaluate existing data systems.
Tasks of a data modeler
You will develop best practices for standard naming conventions and data coding to ensure the consistency of data models. Data modelers are also responsible for evaluating data models and databases for deviations and inconsistencies as well as for troubleshooting and optimizing data systems.
If necessary, they reverse engineer physical data models from databases and update and optimize local and metadata models.
What are the tasks of a data modeler?
- Identify business needs
- Build data models to meet these needs
- Propose innovative data solutions that can help improve business activities
- Maintain data models
- Define data modeling and design standards
- Evaluate existing data systems
- Develop best practices for standard naming conventions and data coding
- Ensure consistency of the data models
- Evaluate data models and databases for deviations and inconsistencies
- Debugging and optimizing data systems
- Reverse engineer physical data models from databases
- Update and optimize local and metadata models
Are you looking for data modelers?
Find the right freelancer here
Data Modeler Skills
A data modeler has practical experience Experience with physical and relational data modeling. You are familiar with data platform technologies and have experience with data warehouses and big data platforms.
They have Knowledge of the principles of data modeling including conceptual and logical data models and can use business intelligence tools to present insights.
Data Modeler Skills
Data modelers are experienced in translating relational data models into XML and have knowledge of metadata management and related tools. You also have in-depth knowledge of mathematical fundamentals and statistical analysis.
You are experienced in leading teams, are able to communicate clearly and effectively, and have excellent presentation skills.
What skills does a data modeler have?
- Practical experience with physical and relational data modeling
- Knowledge of platform technologies
- Experience with data warehouses and big data platforms
- Knowledge of data modeling principles including conceptual and logical data models
- Ability to use business intelligence tools to present insights
- Experience in translating relational data models into XML
- Knowledge of metadata management and related tools
- Knowledge of mathematical fundamentals and statistical analyzes
- Experience in team management
- Strong communication skills
- Effective presentation skills
Data modelers typically have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, data science, or a related field. Some also opt for a Masters degree, although it is not a must.
You can also advance your career as a data modeler by Certifications and additional training. Some options for this are as follows:
A data modeler’s salary depends primarily on the industry in which he works. Factors such as position, experience and skills also play a role. A beginner modeler can do up to. to earn $ 74,900 while one in a higher position can earn up to $ 126,100. The average salary of a data modeler is $ 98,900.
In Germany the average salary range is € 53,400 in the UK it is € 97,500.
How much does a data modeler earn?
How much does a freelance modeler earn?
The freelancermap tariff index in August 2021 showed an average hourly rate of $ 101 among data modelers. If you calculate this rate over an 8-hour day, the daily average is around $ 808.
Average hourly rate for freelance data modelers
Here you can find jobs for data modelers