A NOC engineer is primarily responsible for setting up, managing, and monitoring a network from any central location. You play a back-end role and have experience with servers, networks and IT work. Let’s take a closer look at the role of a NOC engineer!
What is NOC?
In a fully networked world, ensuring the quality and availability of the telecommunications infrastructure requires special attention. Network Operations Centers or NOCs are intelligence powerhouses where everyone Data is on network performance collected and tracked.
This requires a truly reliable IT center, from displays to software to sophisticated devices that create visualizations of the networks that IT specialists are responsible for.
NOC Engineer role overview
This center is where Computer engineers observe and maintain telecommunication networks. From this central location NOC analysts and operators scan the network to identify, locate, and fix performance problems.
NOCs are often found in large companieswhere network activities are difficult to observe individually.
What is the role of a NOC engineer?
NOC Engineer responsibilities
ON NOC engineer – also known as NOC analyst or NOC technician – is responsible for the overall performance and maintenance of NOCs. they Operation, monitoring and troubleshooting of computer network systems and offer technical support in case of problems connected to the network infrastructure.
They perform a number of tasks like that Configuration and administration of routers, Update and maintenance Firmware Regular analysis of network problems and offer of solutions.
Additionally a NOC engineer Likewise monitors system conditions, documents changes made into networks, creates technical manuals, and is responsible for maintaining network security.
You will recognize errors in the current network structure, analyze problems and work on the development of solutions. They can also assist the head of the NOC and other managers with current incidents and / or network issues.
Duties of a NOC engineer:
- Manage IT operations and network devices such as routers, switches, firewalls and access points
- Operate, monitor, and troubleshoot computer network systems
- Provide technical support for issues related to network infrastructure
- Configuration, implementation and support of all network components
- Make sure that the IT equipment is working properly (troubleshooting and diagnostic support).
- Manage and manage applications throughout their lifecycle
- Monitoring of line systems and digital facilities
- Manage the technology providers who implement the solutions
- Backup management, completion, review and recovery
- Perform access management
- Manage the availability and capacity of the platform
- Receive errors, analyze them and classify them according to operational and customer-relevant relevance
- Management of inquiries, problems, incidents and data environments
- Write and maintain technical documentation for the network environment
Are you looking for a NOC analyst?
> Find NOC analysts to hire
What are the skills of a NOC engineer?
The most important skill to become a NOC engineer is in-depth knowledge Network architecture, design and configuration. You must also have experience in the job Network monitoring tools.
A NOC engineer has to be one Expert troubleshooting and know Incident models and diagnostic tools. You must have extensive experience in the fields Cisco IOS, network management and monitoring and must have experience Management and support of network infrastructures.
NOC Engineer Skills
You should be familiar with common tools such as Microsoft products, Internet services, and more detailed applications Information security, data architecture and operating systems.
In addition, is a team player is just as important as learning to be a leader when needed. A good NOC engineer must also be able to work in a high pressure environment good communication skills both orally and in writing and must be able to think analytically.
Skills and Experience Required to Be a NOC Engineer:
- Competent knowledge of network architecture, design and configuration
- Experience with network monitoring tools like Auvik
- Expert troubleshooting
- Knowledge of incident models and diagnostic tools
- Broad experience in Cisco IOS, network management and monitoring
- Automation experience
- Understanding of cloud computing
- Knowledge of virtualization, startup and maintenance (VMware, KVM, Xen, Hyper-V)
- Data center administration and database administration
- In-depth understanding of network concepts such as DNS, DHCP, NTP, TCP / IP, FTP, firewalls
- Understanding of cloud computing
- Script experience would be a plus (Batch, Powershell)
- Experience in managing and supporting network infrastructures
- Knowledge of sysadmin and Linux
- Knowledge of network topology, cabling and classification
- Ability to support and resolve hardware and software problems
- Basic knowledge of IT security and Windows server technologies
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment
- Good communication
- Strong analytical thinking
Becoming a NOC engineer usually involves a Degree in computer science or information science. However, employees with extensive experience solving computer network problems may apply for this role.
Additionally, Short courses are a great way to improve your resume and highlight your skills. Some NOC relevant certifications to consider:
NOC engineers can benefit from others too Certificates such as CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA or JNCIS these are very desirable, but not always necessary.
Companies often look for NOC engineers who are already experienced with the hardware and software the company uses, although they are sometimes willing to provide on-the-job training.
Businesses are increasingly concerned Security and network integrity, especially since these companies are increasingly dependent on computer networks. In addition, computer networks are increasingly being used by consumers – all of which indicates growth in this employment sector.
Looking for a job as a NOC engineer?
> Find IT jobs on freelance map
The Salary of a The NOC engineer depends on factors such as industry, role and location. To the Junior level rolesthe annual starting salary in the US is up to $ 50,000. The The average salary with a couple of years of experience is closer to $ 74,000. At the Senior Level roles with significant work experience, annual salaries can go up $ 107,000.
How Much Do NOC Engineers Make?
|Junior salary||$ 50,000|
|Average salary||$ 74,000|
|Senior salary||$ 107,000|
What is the average freelance rate for a NOC expert?
Average hourly rate for freelance NOC engineers
The Freelancermap Rate Index in March 2021 shows a average hourly rate of $ 96. Considering an 8 hour work day, freelance engineers do roughly $ 768 a day.
Would you like to work as a NOC engineer?
Find IT jobs